Get your own custom call sign plate in California? Really? No way. It has to be a total nightmare, right? You probably have to stand in endless lines at the DMV, only to be told you have the wrong form. And it probably costs way to much anyway.
Nope. Wrong on all accounts.
It is really quite easy, in spite of the horrific manner in which the DMV provides the information on their web site, all you really need to do is:
- Check out the fees here ($20 for amateur radio plates).
- Fill out online, or download and complete the form here.
- Be sure to check “ORIGINAL” at the top of the form. Complete section 1. In section 2 you only check the box for Amateur Radio License, fill in your call sign, skip all the signature sections in section 2, and jump to section 5. Sign, date, and add your phone number and you are good to go.
- Mail the form, a copy of your amateur license, and a check for the $20 to: DMV, SPU – MS D238, P.O. Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450.
- Wait about 4-5 weeks for your plates to arrive.
It is really that easy. And the plates do not have annual renewal fees like other custom plates. If you have questions you can call the DMV at 916-657-8035